In the last series I warned the applicator issue would continue to re-surface and here we are already. This time we’re asking who should apply floor coatings and floor paints – is a painter or an applicator a better fit? Aren’t they the same thing anyway? Like most people you’re probably scratching your head thinking “Of course they’re the same, they both use brushes and rollers, right?” Does it really matter which one you choose to do flooring?
The floor painter profile
Well, there are quite a few differences between them. As a general summary, painters –
- Are used to applying low-viscosity paints, with up to 60% solvent or water content, in thin films and solid colours.
- Use products with long working times.
- Are used to applying onto walls and roofs with simple hardware (including low pressure spray equipment).
- Have a clear idea on preparation of metal, plasterboard and cement sheeting, but not so much concrete.
- Tackle floors as well, but treat a floor project like an extension of the painting project.
The floor coating applicator profile
In contrast, applicators –
- Are used to higher viscosity materials, i.e. high solids or solventless, applied in thicker films and often with colour blending techniques.
- Use products with shorter working times and have skills to combat this.
- Are more focused on preparation because flooring is their “bread and butter” and they understand these surfaces get abused.
- Own their preparation equipment, e.g. diamond grinders, shot blasters, scabblers.
Choose the right one
With different mind and skill sets, it’s important the right one is chosen for your flooring project. From the profiles above, I’d stick with an applicator to do both floor coatings and floor paints. Asking an applicator to paint my house or a painter to apply the floor simply isn’t the best use of available resources. This is all not to say that one can’t make the transition successfully to the other, but it takes time and only works if they’re committed to doing it on a full-time basis.
If you have any questions about applicators or painters, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.